Friday, February 14, 2014

Chicken stew with quinoa and butternut squash



So, I made this really delicious stew the other day for dinner, and have been asked by lots of people for the recipe.  I know I do not usually put recipes up on here, but thought this would be the easiest way to share it.  It's adapted from something I saw on pinterest, but I changed it to be more to our liking. Those who know me know I don't do a very good job at following recipes...so measurements are not exact..here it is:

I used leftover roast chicken...it was probably the equivalent to about 2 cooked chicken breast maybe?
1/2 diced onion
minced garlic cloves I used 4 or 5
1 butternut squash
1 can diced tomato
2/3 C. quinoa
about 6 C. chicken broth
oregano, salt, pepper
cilantro


Cut up the squash and steam 1/2 the squash until tender, and mash.  Set aside for later.  Saute onion.  Add broth, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, chicken and uncooked squash.  Cook until squash is tender, add tomato.  Add quinoa about 20 minutes before you are ready to eat.  Add mashed squash when quinoa is ready and mix well.  Add fresh cilantro to each bowl of stew.

This made enough for 2 full meals for our family of 4.
It was really yummy, and our boys loved it too, which is always a bonus...I think it would be even better with a little red curry added to it. 
Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

No comments: