Monday, November 4, 2013

Acts: The Unstoppable Gospel

We just finished studying through Acts this last week.  What a good book!  Part of our assignment for each book is coming up with our own title, relating to what we feel is the main idea of the book.  (For example, I titled Philemon, "reconciliation".)  I titled Acts "The Unstoppable Gospel".  It was incredible to read story after story of persecution, imprisonment, and beating, only to see it propel the gospel forward and further.  Amazing.  We in the western world, really don't have much perspective on persecution...we don't truly experience it.  We aren't at risk of being beaten or put in jail, or executed because of our faith.  We are not actively sought after for means of physical harm.   Then I read this verse in Acts...20:24
"I do not account my life of any value not as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus- to testify to the gospel of the grace of God ."
Paul says this when his friends are trying to convince him not to go to Jerusalem.  It has been prophesied over and over that Paul is going to be beaten and arrested if he goes...yet Paul feels the Lord is telling him to go anyways....and this is his response!  I want a perspective like that in my life....my life is of no value to me...I just want to do what God asks....and I just want to see people come to a saving knowledge of Jesus.  My comfort and my safety are not a priority...Jesus is, and people's eternal future is.
Jesus help me lay down my rights for the sake of the gospel.
Every nation, Every soul.  Jesus is worth it all.

No comments: